Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Blog #5 Personal Review

            The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald was not what I expected it to be. Overall, the book was decent, but at times rather frustrating. Gatsby’s personality originally seemed “great” like the title suggests, but is quickly changed by his back story and his overactive imagination. His character is still one of my favorites out of the book along with Nick’s and followed by Jordan’s and Michaelis’s. However, after hearing so much about the book throughout my childhood, I expected a deeper meaning and a more elaborate plot. Characters such as Daisy and Tom act as strong antagonists, but seem to lack much good in them. Adding a few good qualities to them would make the more realistic. Gatsby, although not the same “great” I was expecting, at least seems more realistic and balanced.
            Although I have a lot of criticism towards aspects of the book, I did enjoy it and am glad I read it. Nick’s humor and sarcasm added humor to the book which helped ease up some of the tension that is created between “new money” and “old money.” The plot was different than anything I have ever read which gave me insight and knowledge on a topic I knew nothing about. Gatsby’s character alone set the book apart from most others. His innocence yet corruption made him a very interesting figure to follow. He was involved in many illegal affairs in order to attain his money, yet he holds dreams from when he was still considered a child (which can also be considered admirable, even if it is a little unrealistic) and on occasion acts a little naïve and immature. In most books I have read, the characters can be easily compared to characters of another book that have the same personality. In the case of Gatsby, I know of no books that have a character similar to him.
            As a whole, the book was enjoyable and different. The underlying morals and meanings create a larger sense of purpose for the book and added complexity to the mostly simple plot. Most importantly, the character of Gatsby and his tragic and ironic death made the book have more emotion which easily makes it a much greater work than it ever could have been without Gatsby’s odd and quirky “new money” personality. 

1 comment:

  1. Sydney, it was interesting for me to read your opinion because it gave me a different perspective on the book. You were able to see the good and the bad in the novel, making your review open-minded while still keeping it personal. I agreed that Gatsby holding on to his dream was unrealistic, but I did not think it was admirable. He obsesses over her and sells alcohol illegally in order to accumulate wealth that will impress her. In my opinion, his obsession over Daisy was unhealthy and it started him in a downward spiral of moral decay and accumulation of wealth.

    ReplyDelete